Toronto Trail Runners
TTR Dog Policy
While we do see our four-legged companions as part of the overall TTR community, the safety and comfort of our runners come first. That is why we need to be vigilant with the following requests and responsibilities:
As a dog owner:
- Be sure to always be close to your dog during the runs
- Be sure to have a leash with you at all times. You may be asked to run with your dog on a leash
- Be sure to gauge the overall group and if your pet is new to the trails, we recommend running with your dog on a leash
- Remember that we sometimes cross trafficked roads and railroads. Please ensure your dog has good recall and be mindful to leash when necessary
- Always bring poop bags with you so you can clean up after your dog. Even though we’re in the woods, leaving poops behind on the trail is poor etiquette!
As individual runners:
- If you witness a dog feeling anxious or lost on the trails, please speak up and ask for the owner to be closer to their pup
- If you witness a dog bumping into a runner in a way that may cause injury or is unsafe, please speak up and ask for the owner to leash their dog
- If you don’t know who the dog owner is or you’re uncomfortable bringing this up, please speak to or text one of the TTR leads (Sean, Will, Sakeena, Jack, Andrew, Nat or Dee) or email us at email@example.com
We believe that dogs should enjoy the trails as much as we do and that’s why we would like to hold dog owners to the same etiquette & standards that we uphold as a community – responsibility, respect and inclusivity.
We do hope that you understand the necessity of this message and value the integrity of this great community.
This policy was drafted in Spring 2023. Please share your feedback and suggestions with your TTR leads by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org